Home arrow Destinations arrow Linden and History
Linden and History
The Linden Museum

The "Linden Museum of Socio-Cultural Heritage" (the official name) is the fruit of tireless efforts of the "Region 10 Tourism Development Association" which over many years negotiated the access to the present location in the centre of Linden, convinced Lindeners and sponsors to support the idea, and finally used their own physical strength to get the Museum opened for the Linden Town Week in April 2006.
The Museum is just a stone's throw away from the mighty  Demerara river where vessels sail regularly to the Bauxite Plant to pick up their bauxite load and transport it to distant countries.The museum is housed in a building which itself  played a very important role in the life of residents in the mining town.

The Christiansburg Water Wheel

The Christiansburg Water Wheel
Water Wheel
In 1895 a Scottish engineer Mr. John Dagleish Patterson installed this very large iron wheel as prime mover for his sawmilling equipment.
Patterson’s hydro-powered sawmill is the only one of its kind. The sawmill was dismantled but the water wheel remains as an example of how the timber industry was mechanized to exploit the rich natural resources of the area.

The Bauxite Industry

Commercial exploitation of bauxite started in Linden, Guyana some eighty years ago. In 1916 the Demerara Bauxite Company Limited, better known as DEMBA, a subsidiary of the Aluminum Company of Canada Limited, was established with the objective of mining, processing and selling Bauxite.

The site chosen for this preliminary venture was on the Demerara River, about 104 km (65 miles) south of Georgetown, the capital city. At that time there was no settlement in the area, except for the wards of Wismar and Christianburg. Mackenzie, the center of the company's operations, takes its name from an American geologist of Scottish descent, George Bain Mackenzie, who first visited and explored the area for bauxite in 1913. He returned in 1914, bought lands for mining, and built several 45-ton wooden barges for use at the riverside near Three Friends Mine, which was the first mine to be worked.